Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Meal Ideas

Apparently I am on a soup kick lately. Sorry for those of who whose husbands like meat and potatoes all the time, I don't seem to be helping you out much. I will see what I can do for ya...but I am more of the "throw it all together" kind a gal!
My mother used to make this EVERY Christmas Eve. My kids beg for it to be made weekly!
Clam Chowder
1/2 diced onion
5 pieces of diced celery
5 pieces of cut bacon
2 cans chicken broth
4-6 cans of minced clams (with juice)
2 bags of cubed hashbrowns OR chop up own potatoes
1 quart half and half
salt and pepper


Start by sauteing 1/2 chopped onion, 5 chopped celery pieces, 5 cut up pieces of bacon, salt and pepper.


It will look like this to begin with but will thicken up as the potatoes cook.

While that is sauteing, in a large soup pot add potatoes, chicken broth and clams and bring to a boil. Once the sauteed items are finished add them to the pot. Allow all of this to cook on medium for 2 to 3 hours stirring occasionally. With about a half hour left pour in the half and half, turning down the temperature...you don't want it to boil. I usually pepper it again and serve with french bread.

After adding the half and half and letting it cook about 1/2 hour longer you will end up with nummy tasting Clam Chowder!

FYI~ I have switched to using just red potatoes and cutting up 10-15 of them in place of the hashbrowns. It seems to make a bit chunkier soup.

***This could also be used as a potato soup or even corn chowder leaving out the clams and adding corn. ***

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Very impressive!! I have never made clam chowder from scratch, but definately will do it. My whole family loves it, including miss muffett :) Thanks!!

Lolli said...

Yes...it's me from the "meat and potato" house. Looks yummy! Too bad Blake's allergic to shell fish. Maybe I could make steak chowder, or pork chop chowder, or...never mind. I'll have to try it sometime when he is out of town. I could probably eat the whole pot myself though with some sourdough bread. Better yet...mom if you are reading this...feel free to give it a try and I'll be happy to stop by.

Veronica Lee said...

A million thanks! I love clam chowder and I'd kill for it 'cos I can't get any authentic ones in Malaysia. The best I had was in the fisherman's wharf in San Francisco.

Lolli said...

I have to admit...I'm like a middle school student. I read the title and looked at the pictures. I had a few more minutes and came back to actually "read". I think I might try it with corn and maybe add some bacon. That way I've got the meat (bacon) and (red) potatoes covered. I'll let you ya know how it goes.

cassi said...

Mmmmm... I am BIG on soup! It's so easy and it goes over big at our house! Plus... soup fills you up which means less eating! ;) I make a potatoe soup, but have never tried clam chowder and I am definitely going to try this! Thanks Amy! Hope you had a great New Year!!! :)

Hi, I'm Amy! said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious! I love soups, especially in the winter. The "winter" here in NC has been very mild lately so no chilly temps to get my in the soup mood :(

I found your blog through the mom bloggers club and may I say that you have a fabulous name ;)

Alissa and baby Brody said...

My mom made the Taco soup you had on here last night, I havnt tried it yet because I was gone but Im planning on having it for lunch. Im deffenetly going to have to make sure she tries this one too because my Dad Evan ans I LOVE clam chowder!