Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Meal Ideas

Apparently I am on a soup kick lately. Sorry for those of who whose husbands like meat and potatoes all the time, I don't seem to be helping you out much. I will see what I can do for ya...but I am more of the "throw it all together" kind a gal!
My mother used to make this EVERY Christmas Eve. My kids beg for it to be made weekly!
Clam Chowder
1/2 diced onion
5 pieces of diced celery
5 pieces of cut bacon
2 cans chicken broth
4-6 cans of minced clams (with juice)
2 bags of cubed hashbrowns OR chop up own potatoes
1 quart half and half
salt and pepper


Start by sauteing 1/2 chopped onion, 5 chopped celery pieces, 5 cut up pieces of bacon, salt and pepper.


It will look like this to begin with but will thicken up as the potatoes cook.

While that is sauteing, in a large soup pot add potatoes, chicken broth and clams and bring to a boil. Once the sauteed items are finished add them to the pot. Allow all of this to cook on medium for 2 to 3 hours stirring occasionally. With about a half hour left pour in the half and half, turning down the temperature...you don't want it to boil. I usually pepper it again and serve with french bread.

After adding the half and half and letting it cook about 1/2 hour longer you will end up with nummy tasting Clam Chowder!

FYI~ I have switched to using just red potatoes and cutting up 10-15 of them in place of the hashbrowns. It seems to make a bit chunkier soup.

***This could also be used as a potato soup or even corn chowder leaving out the clams and adding corn. ***

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Very impressive!! I have never made clam chowder from scratch, but definately will do it. My whole family loves it, including miss muffett :) Thanks!!

Lolli said...

Yes...it's me from the "meat and potato" house. Looks yummy! Too bad Blake's allergic to shell fish. Maybe I could make steak chowder, or pork chop chowder, or...never mind. I'll have to try it sometime when he is out of town. I could probably eat the whole pot myself though with some sourdough bread. Better yet...mom if you are reading this...feel free to give it a try and I'll be happy to stop by.

Veronica Lee said...

A million thanks! I love clam chowder and I'd kill for it 'cos I can't get any authentic ones in Malaysia. The best I had was in the fisherman's wharf in San Francisco.

Lolli said...

I have to admit...I'm like a middle school student. I read the title and looked at the pictures. I had a few more minutes and came back to actually "read". I think I might try it with corn and maybe add some bacon. That way I've got the meat (bacon) and (red) potatoes covered. I'll let you ya know how it goes.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

Mmmmm... I am BIG on soup! It's so easy and it goes over big at our house! Plus... soup fills you up which means less eating! ;) I make a potatoe soup, but have never tried clam chowder and I am definitely going to try this! Thanks Amy! Hope you had a great New Year!!! :)

Amy said...

Mmmmm, looks delicious! I love soups, especially in the winter. The "winter" here in NC has been very mild lately so no chilly temps to get my in the soup mood :(

I found your blog through the mom bloggers club and may I say that you have a fabulous name ;)

Alissa and baby Brody said...

My mom made the Taco soup you had on here last night, I havnt tried it yet because I was gone but Im planning on having it for lunch. Im deffenetly going to have to make sure she tries this one too because my Dad Evan ans I LOVE clam chowder!